Athletic Mission Statement
Benjamin Franklin High School exists to develop and elevate the minds and character of its students. The driving purposes of the athletic program at BFHS is to practice and perfect virtue, and ennoble the heart on the field of competition – inspiring athletes, competitors, and spectators alike to be strong in mind, body and soul.
Athletic Vision Statement
Benjamin Franklin High School believes that a dynamic program of student activities is vital to the educational development of the students.
The BFHS athletic plan should provide a variety of experiences to aid in the development of favorable habits and attitudes in students that will prepare them for adult life in a democratic society.
Athletics should function as an integral part of the total curriculum. It should offer opportunities to serve the institution, to assist in the development of fellowship and sportsmanship, to promote self-realization and all-around growth.
Principles Based Athletics:
1. Athletics help develop stronger minds and bodies as well as healthier lifestyles.
2. Athletes learn sportsmanship and the value of teamwork while practicing and playing sports.
3. Athletics promote and develop self-esteem and self-worth.
4. Interscholastic competition provides a medium for school spirit and school pride for the student body and community.
5. Athletic programs are an important and necessary part of the total school experience. Such participation is a privilege that carries with it responsibilities to the school, to the activity, to the student body, to the community and to the students themselves.
6. Athletics provide wholesome opportunities for students to develop favorable habits and attitudes of social and group interactions.
7. Leadership qualities of many athletes are improved with athletic programs.
8. Student activities are considered a supplement to the school’s program of education, which strives to provide experiences that will help to develop boys and girls physically, mentally, socially and emotionally.
9. The interscholastic athletic program shall be conducted in accordance with existing policies, rules and regulations. While we take great pride in winning, we will not condone “winning at any cost” and discourage any and all pressures which might tend to neglect good sportsmanship and good mental health. At all times, the athletic program must be conducted in such a way so as to justify it as an educational activity.
In summary, the ultimate goal of the athletic program should be:
1. To realize the value of participation while acting with honor and integrity.
2. To develop virtue among the program’s participants.
3. To encourage overall fitness.
4. To reinforce the relationship between effort and achievement.
Our high school athletic teams participate in the Arizona Interscholastic Association (AIA).
Our junior high athletic teams participate in the Desert Middle Schools Conference (DMSC).
For more information on our Athletic Program.
Ready to enroll? Start the enrollment process! PRE-ENROLLMENT.
Would you like to learn more about us? HISTORY & PHILOSOPHY.